On Sunday, September 14, 2008 at Rock Spring Presbyterian Church, Officers of the Grand Lodge of Georgia and members of Gate City II attended services and performed a cornerstone re dedication ceremony. Rock Spring Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest congregations in Atlanta, having started in 1870. The current building was built in the early 1920s and the cornerstone laid by MWGM Joe P. Bowdoin in 1922 (AL 5922).
The service and re dedication was held in honor of a 2.4 million dollar renovation which was recently completed and organized by John Holt and David Johnston (a member and treasurer of Rock Spring Presbyterian Church and a Past Master and Treasurer of Gate City II).
The church service began at 10:55 AM, with the Grand Line, DDGM's of the Fifth Masonic District and Gate City II marching in to a seated congregation. Rev. Gail Perkins greeted the congregation and her Masonic Guests with a wonderful sermon well tailored for her Masonic guests.
As the service concluded, everyone proceeded outside. Rock Spring Presbyterian Church is located at the corner of North Rock Springs and Piedmont Roads. The intersection in front of the church is always congested and the restaurants across from it are always busy. With the gathering of some one hundred and twenty people in front of the beautiful old church on a beautiful September afternoon, many passersby stopped, turned or parked their cars to see what was going on.
The re dedication ceremony was performed by Most Worshipful Grandmaster Ted C. Collins and the Grand Lode with several District Deputy's taking part, John Holt, David Herman and Robert Young. Beaux Pettys was also enlisted to give a hand. Of the many guests were Grand High Priest of the York Rite Jeff Hodges (Gate City II), Sovereign Grand Inspector General Leonard Buffington, Mark Bohn Executive Officer Georgia Demolay (Gate City II).
After the re dedication ceremony, everyone gathered inside for a barbecue lunch catered by Fatt Matt's Rib Shack. Grand Marshall HarryBruno remarked that Gate City had "outdone" itself with the wonderful meal. Most Worshipful Grandmaster Ted Collins also received an exact
copy of the re dedication cornerstone in White Cherokee Marble. The new re dedication cornerstone will be placed on top of a marble & granite base in the memorial gardens of the church.